The National Union of Journalists Malaysia (NUJ) is the only organisation of working journalists in the country representing the Industrial, social and welfare interest of some 1,400 journalists.
Formed on August 30, 1962 NUJ Malaysia is the sole authority to negotiate and determine the proper rates of remuneration and other terms and conditions of employment for journalists in the various publishing houses which produce Bahasa Melayu, English and Chinese newspapers and periodicals.
To secure the complete organisation of all working and professional journalists, whose place of work is in the States of Peninsular Malaysia, and to promote the industrial, social and intellectual interests of its members.
To defend the freedom of the Press, to deal with the professional conduct of its members and to maintain high ethical standards in journalism.
To obtain and maintain for members just and proper rates of remuneration, security of employment and reasonable hours and conditions of work and to provide advice and assistance accordingly.
To regulate relations between employer and employee, between member and member and between members and other workers and to endeavour to resolve any differences between them by amicable and conciliatory means.
To further, financially or otherwise, the work or purpose of any lawful association or body having for its objects the promotion of the interests of labour, trade unions and trade unionists, subject to the provisions of Section 50 of the Trade Unions Ordinance, 1959.
To promote the material, social and educational welfare of members.
To promote legislation affecting the interests of members.
NUJ Code Of Ethics
- Respect for truth and for the right of the public to truth is the first duty of the journalists. To defend the freedom of the Press, to deal with the professional conduct of its members and to maintain high ethical standards in journalism.
- In pursuance of this duty he will defend the twin principles: freedom in the honest collection and publications of news; and the right of fair comment and criticism.
- The journalist reports only in accordance with the facts of which he knows the origin. He will not suppress essential information of falsify documents.
- He will use only fair methods to obtain news, photographs and documents.
- Any published information which is found to be harmfully inaccurate he will do his utmost to rectify.
- He will observe professional secret regarding the source of information obtained in confidence.
- He will regard as grave professional offences the following:
- - Plagiarism
- - Calumny, slander, libel and unfounded accusations
- - The acceptance of a bribe in any form in consideration of either publication or suppression.
- He recognises in professional matters, the jurisdiction of his colleagues only; he excludes every kind of interference by governments or others.
Sixteen members of the Executive Council Board comprises of a President, 2 Vice Presidents, Genera! Secretary, 2 Deputy General Secretaries, General Treasurer, Deputy General Treasurer and one representative from each NUJ Branch.
Elections for appointment of office bearers takes place once in two years on the commencement of the Biennial Delegates Conference.
The Registrar of Trade Union [RTU] will be notified whenever any change in office bearers takes place. In addition, any amendments in the Union Constitution, fund raising drive which is about to be undertaken by the Union, the Registrar has also to be notified.
CHIN SUNG CHEW (Sin Chew)
MOHD TAUFEK RAZAK (Utusan)
NOOR AZMI OTHMAN (New Straits Times)
SCHAVE JEROME DE ROZARIO (The Star)
Deputy General Secretary:
KUAN TAI HUAT (Nanyang Siang Pau)
MOHD HIDHIR BASARUDIN (Utusan)
BAHARUDDIN RESEH HJ YAACOB (Utusan)
Deputy General Treasurer:
Malay Daily :
Utusan Melayu (M) Berhad
Berita Harian Sdn Bhd
Harian Metro and Utusan Karya
English Newspapers :
New Straits Times Press
The Sun Media Corporation
Chinese Dailies :
Nanyang Siang Pau
Sin Chew Jit Poh
Kwong Wah Yit Poh
National Union of Journalists Peninsular Malaysia 30B, Jalan Padang Belia, 50470 Kuala Lumpur. Malaysia Phone: 03-2274 2867 Email: email@example.com